November 29th, 2014
This week as I was putting up more Christmas decorations, I wanted to make a super sweet vintage banner for this adorable advent house. Lately I’ve been so busy with work and projects that I just wanted something I could cut and glue and be done with pretty quickly.
Patterned Paper (from Michaels)
Ad tech Permanent Glue Runner
Large Circle Hole Punch
Cream Crepe Paper
Ad tech Hi-Temp Glue Gun
Beige Seam Binding
1. Cut banner flags out of a 12×12 sheet of paper. These are approximately 4″ wide by 6″ tall.
2. Use pinking sheers to cut strips of glitter paper 3/8″ tall. Make sure one edge is a straight edge.
3. Cut glitter strip to size and use a Glue Runner to adhere the glitter strip to the flags.
4. Cut 20″ of 2″ wide crepe paper. Gently stretch it out, and then scrunch it up in rough pleats to give it a pleated look.
5. Use a circle punch (or scissors) to cut a 2″ circle
6. Use a hi-temp glue gun (makes it easy to reposition the crepe paper, but watch your fingers!) to place an ample amount of glue on the paper circle.
7. Place your pleated and crinkled crepe paper on the hot glue to create a fanned out circle.
8. Glue the crepe paper circle to the flag, and then glue a glitter star onto the crepe paper.
9. Punch holes on the sides of each flag and then string through with seam binding.
November 28th, 2014
PIN my Crafters Gift Guide by clicking the image below:
I had some great input from my readers this year for my crafters gift guide, and I added a few favorites of my own to make this great list of gifts to buy the crafter in your life.
1. Fujifilm Instax Camera – I lOVE these little instant cameras. Fun for social events and for memory keepers. Black friday deals at Michaels can’t be beat get the Instax for $69.99!
2. Need to organize craft supplies? From stackable drawers to a huge ELFA craft room make-over, The Container Store is an awesome place to start. A gift card to The Container Store is tops on my wish list!
3. Several of my readers wanted more time for crafting. Well you can’t really give time, but you can give the gift of responsibility-free time. Look for local craft retreats. One that I’ve had my eye on is the Reclaim Yourself Retreat. One day I’ll make it!
4. You’ve probably been hearing a lot about the Cricut Explore digital cutter, including my list of 10 favorite things about it. It’s true I love my Cricut, and think it’s the perfect Christmas gift for your favorite crafter. There are some killer black friday sales going on. And be sure to use these coupon codes for additional discounts: FREESHIPNOV for free shipping, and EXPLOREBFBLOG for $10 off, and CRICUTBF5 for $5 off any order over $50! Be sure to use ALL the codes for the best price. If you love Frozen, Cricut just announced their new Frozen digital cut files and a deal on a bundle too.
5. Quite a few of my readers want the new version of the Silhouette Cameo (another digital cutter) for Christmas. I haven’t had a chance to test out the new Cameo yet (hopefully soon so I can tell you what I think!), so I don’t have any favorite things about it, but I do have the original silhouette and I love it for cutting Vinyl! There are some great Black Friday Sales going on for the Silhouette too (use discount code PROJECT). My favorite is the CAMEO & Portrait Bundle (One for you, one for a friend!). You get the CAMEO machine, Portrait machine and 2, $25 Download cards to the Silhouette Design Store for just $299.99 (regularly $529.98!). So basically you buy one for you and can give the other as a gift! (*Use Discount Code PROJECT to get the lowest price on the black friday sales).
6.Tim Holtz Scissors are a great stocking stuffer. I’ve had mine for 8 years and they are hands-down my favorite scissors ever. They cut EVERYTHING. Mr. Project & I are known to fight over who gets to use them. I found them for a great price at Amazon.
7. One of my readers mentioned a table loom. I’ve never really heard of such thing, but after a little research, this looks like an amazing crafty hobby! I could totally get into looming.
8.OttLite Craft Caddy. I recently reviewed this, and even have a giveaway going right now (today’s the last day). I love my OttLite and it’s a great gift for any crafter. There is an awesome Black Friday Deal at Michaels – like half as much as the sale price everywhere else.
9. Heidi Swapp Craft Mat. I don’t have one of these, but I TOTALLY need one. Its 18×24″ and you just roll it out where you want to craft for easy cleanup. Plus its Silicone, so nothing sticks to it (except glitter ha! Get a lint roller for that).
10. Olfa Mat - utilitarian, yes. Awesome, definitely. It’s always nice to have a refresh or upgrade to your old cutting mat, and this is the cadillac of cutting mats!
11. A full size glue gun is another great stocking stuffer. After buying tons of crappy $1.50 glue guns, I’ve finally seen the light. This full-format high-temperature glue gun from Ad Tech is my current favorite. I love that it takes GIANT glue sticks so I’m not constantly having to feed in another stick. I also didn’t know I liked hi-temp until I tried it. It’s nice that the glue doesn’t cool down quite so fast so I have just a little extra time. Just watch those fingers!
So those are all my crafty picks for this year, is there something that I’m missing that is on your list?
*this post contains affiliate links.
November 26th, 2014
I absolutely love my Cricut Explore and with the holiday’s coming, it’s the perfect time to buy one as a gift for yourself or someone who loves crafting. If you’re on the fence about which electronic cutting machine to buy, Cricut recently had a third-party test the Explore and the Cameo, check out the results.
Here are MY 10 favorite things about the Cricut Explore:
1. Upload YOUR OWN SVGs, JPGs, PNG files and cut them for free. No work-arounds, just upload, size, and cut.
2. It cuts and scores in the same run. No need to load/unload your paper twice.
3. The print+cut feature is amazing and generates it’s own bleed (that’s a really awesome thing)
4. It cuts really well… like incredibly well… everything I’ve ever had it cut, it has cut perfectly. Leather, burlap, felt, wood, fabric, glitter cardstock etc. Check out this third-party comparison of the Explore and Cameo to see how each machine stacks up on materials and precision.
5. 25,000 images for just $9.99/month. I LOVE the subscription option, even though I create a lot of my own cut files, I love that I can find any cut files that I want through the subscription.
6. The SmartSet dial. No fine-tuning needed. No internet searches to see what the best speed/depth/blade is. It just cuts what you want, very little thinking is required.
7. Cuts wirelessly with the USB dongle… from your iPad, desktop computer or laptop.
8. Free software that saves all your projects in the cloud. Just login and all your files are there!
9. Storage for tools right inside the machine (I haven’t lost mine yet!)
10. So so so so easy to use. The Design Space software is so easy to learn and use, pretty much foolproof. And the machine itself is simple and doesn’t require a learning curve or fine tuning. This is definitely the machine for those who need something simple that just works.
So what are you waiting for?? Grab a Cricut Explore or buy one as a gift for your mom, friend, wife, girlfriend etc.? Check out the Cricut Thanksgiving and Black Friday Sale: you can get a Cricut Explore for $219 or take $30 off all Explore Bundles (see links below – valid 11/27+11/28)! Use the codes FREESHIPNOV for free shipping, and EXPLOREBFBLOG for $10 off, and CRICUTBF5 for $5 off any order over $50! Be sure to use ALL the codes! This is BETTER than the Cyber monday sale, so don’t wait!
The Deluxe Starter Set
includes everything you need to start creating with your Cricut Explore! Get a scoring stylus and Cricut® pens to score or write your projects while you cut them. Plus, get the deep cut blade to work with even the heaviest materials. This set includes both the Metallic and Antiquity pen sets, the Scoring Stylus, and the Deep Cut Housing & Blade.
The Bluetooth Bundle
allows you to connect your Cricut Explore machine to your computer wirelessly with the Bluetooth® Adapter. Cut or write your projects without connecting via a USB, which is perfect for users who want to create on their own terms. The Wireless Bluetooth® Adapter can be paired with up to eight “host” devices (laptop, PC, or iPad) at a time.
The Best Selling Font Bundle
includes the Cricut Explore machine, and the top three font cartridges (Lyrical Letters, Everyday Fonts, and Fontopia) to create DIY crafts and projects from wedding invitations to DIY home decor to scrapbooking!
Check out all the other doorbuster deals
at cricut.com for some great prices on supplies.
*Pricing is good 11/27-11/28. This post contains Affiliate Links.
Here are some projects that I’ve made with my Explore: