January 31st, 2015
Welcome to my blog, The Project Girl! I recently decorated my son’s room in a lumberjack theme, and this is one of my many projects that I created using my Cricut Explore. This room design is part of a competition, and if you love my room, I am hoping that you will take a second to go and vote for me on the Cricut Facebook Page (you don’t need a Facebook account). Thanks so much for your help, every vote is greatly appreciated!
One of my favorite projects from the Lumberjack Room I designed, was this geometric banner. It’s just a great 3-dimensional piece.
Ad tech Glue Runner
To create this banner, I started by cutting AND SCORING the diamond shapes with my cricut explore.
Then I folded all my scored tabs and lines using a bone folder to get nice crisp lines. A bone folder is one of my favorite craft tools.
I did this for all the diamond boxes I wanted to create, and then I used my Ad tech glue runner to glue the boxes together. I also ran the string through the boxes while glueing them so that I wouldn’t have to attempt to string them together afterwards. This way the string goes through the middle of the boxes as well.
And here’s the final product, a lovely geometric banner!
January 28th, 2015
Welcome to my blog, The Project Girl! This room design is part of a competition! If you love my son’s lumberjack room, I am hoping that you will take a second to go and vote for me on the Cricut Facebook Page (you don’t need a Facebook account). Thanks so much for your help, every vote is greatly appreciated!
The big day is here!!! 6 Weeks ago I was given my Cricut Design Star Challenge FINAL round assignment. The 5 finalists were to re-decorate a room with the help of the cricut explore, $1000 budget, and $500 in Cricut supplies. Off to the races through Christmas, and New Years, and CHA, and ALT! It’s been a really busy 6 weeks for me, but all the late-nights have paid off and I’m soooo excited to reveal my room makeover to you! I have 2 boys and I was just loving this plaid/lumberjack craze so much, that I created a lumberjack themed kids room! With bunk beds!
PIN this room to save it for later!
Cricut also asked me to create a video to go with the room reveal. Check it out here (disable pop-up blocker to see):
(this is totally my first video and I edited it and everything. scary!):
Lets back up to the before… wah wah. Cute bedding! but pretty much an empty room. The byproduct of moving 6 months ago.
It’s still airy and bright, but so much more pazazz and I love how all the white and black make all the plaid and buffalo check just pop. I also want to take this moment to point out that I designed the duvet covers and used black iron-on to create the patterns on them. They totally MAKE the room, but so many people I’ve show them to think that I bought them!
The desk area is so great. I actually had purchased the desk a few weeks prior to this assignment, and was so incredibly happy that I picked the right color! The brackets I had ordered 6 months ago from West Elm clearance. This room was totally meant to be!
One of the biggest reasons I wanted to do a bunk bed was for the loft space beneath. The perfect place for a little cozy reading of all our favorite baby lit books. My boys love it so much already.
Read the rest of this entry »
December 29th, 2014
I decorated my basement mantel with decorations I had lying around from years past. I love bright red for Christmas and definitely feel like it fits in better with the decor downstairs. I did want to freshen it up with a banner, and I had these gorgeous glitter letters from My Mind’s Eye.
I created this banner with the same process I used for my star banner a few weeks ago. This time I used these gorgeous book pages from an old copy of Heidi that my kids had already torn a few pages from.
I especially loved this chapter heading for a christmas banner. I hand-cut the papers into this pocket shape and then hot-glued on the rosettes and glitter letters.
I wanted to sew this banner instead of string it through holes. I have this gorgeous chartreuse ribbon, and I didn’t want it to cover the book pages, so I placed it under instead.
To keep everything in place for sewing, I used just a few little dabs of glue from my glue runner.
On each end, I folded the ribbon over, and tacked it down with more glue.
Once I had all the flags tacked with glue, I ran the whole thing slowly through the sewing machine.
And then placed it on my mantel.
I wanted to finish off the mantel with one more small banner. I grabbed these glittered confetti circles from My Minds Eye, and sewed them down the middle.
Then I folded and glued them with my Ad tech permanent glue runner to create a scallop banner.
I placed that across the whole mantel to finish off the look. The stockings are from Pottery barn, and the garland is one that I have used before from Joanne Fabric & Craft. I wrapped it in some gorgeous burlap ribbon that I bought on clearance after Christmas last year, also from Pottery Barn.
Click here to see my upstairs mantel
*This post contains affiliate links.