Spice jar organization – custom drawer

August 7th, 2012

Okay, so it’s been awhile since I’ve posted…. way too long! I’ve been basking in my early-pregnancy zombiness which includes sleeping, napping, resting, and trying to get some work done. And oh yeah… keep my toddler from killing himself (mostly through convincing him that he wants to “snuggle mama” and lay next to me while we watch Sprout ). I am starting to feel a bit more productive and we’ve started on another big phase of house projects before the baby comes. I also have lots of new work projects that have been taking up 90% of my actual productive time, so the blog has become super low priority. But I miss it like crazy, so hopefully I can really follow through and get this machine up and running again!

So onto a quick project that I finished yesterday… Spice Jars! So when Mr. Project built the kitchen cabinets, we planned on having two drawers for spices and a drawer for liquids/oils next to the stove.  The top two are for spices and the bottom for oils.

For the spice jars we found these empty glass jars from The Container Store. We figured that 24 of these jars would fit perfectly in each drawer.

Mr. Project measured everything and cut a 1/4″ board that fit inside the drawer and drilled circle holes in it for each of the jars to fit. This is a super simple modification that anyone could do to their drawers. The finished drawer insert and jars look like this:

The board sits about 2 inches up via scrap wood that he nailed underneath in the back and front of the board. The board is also removable for cleaning. I thought I had  a picture of the drawer with no spices, but I couldn’t find it! Oh well, you can imagine what it looks like without the jars.

For a few months we’ve been living with these temporary tags taped on the top of each jar identifying the contents. But now that we’re working on projects again, I ordered some 1.5″ round stickers and designed some cute labels that match the kitchen.

And printed them on the label paper.

And finally put them on the spice jars!

So now we have a useful and impressive spice drawer! And best of all, nothing can get lost in there!

I have tons of other projects to share as well as updates on our little family, so come back and visit soon!

18 Responses to “Spice jar organization – custom drawer”

1. Super cute, I love those labels! That’s a great way to organize your spices :-) I finally got ours organized into magnet-backed tins and stuck them on a sheet of tin inside our cabinet door. So much better than before!

2. Gennifer says:

You are awesome.

3. Nancy Wyatt says:

This is brilliant!! Way to go to you and the Mr!! Hugs from Conroe, TX

4. libbywilko says:

These look fantastic guys ! Nice to see you post too :) missed you as well .

5. Misty says:

Yay…so nice to see you post!!! And CONGRATS on the upcoming arrival of a new wee one!!! Lovin’ the spice jars/racks/labels!

Happy day!!!

6. Emily says:

That looks amazing! So organized. :)

7. Pauline says:

Great to have you blogging again! The spice drawer looks fab – I love projects like this!

8. Yolanda says:

Your blog has so many great ideas. Thank you!

9. Leanne says:

Your spice drawer is impressive! This is a fabulous idea, now to pitch the idea to my son to improve his grandmother’s spice drawer… LOL!

It’s nice to see you back!

10. I just discovered your blog through House Of Turquoise. I love all the wonderful things you’ve with your home, especially the laundry room before and after! I love this idea as well! I’ve been looking for a great spice storage solution for a while now. I may have to give this one a whirl. Thanks for sharing.

11. Amanda says:

Do you use a specific program to print your labels? Where do you order the labels from? Love the spice cabinet organization!!

I got the labels from onlinelabels.com I used their template and adobe illustrator to make the designs and print.

13. Amanda says:

Thanks!!

14. Libby says:

What type of printer or ink did you use so that the labels would not smear over time or by wet hands? Did you use a laser printer? A special type of waterproof ink (if that even exists)?

I printed labels for my spice cabinet, and they looked great until moisture got to them. So sad!

Help!

Mine haven’t smeared, but I’m sure they could pretty easily if we got water on them. What you could do is print a sheet of your design at PersnikityPrints.com – they have waterproof printing there. And then you could run it through a xyron sticker maker to turn them into labels. Or you could laminate the front of your sticker sheet with some clear packing tape and cut them out.

16. tammy says:

Love this! I love your style, I always come here for inspiration and motivation! Thanks for sharing.

17. Betty819 says:

What a great idea and Mr. Project did a great job for you. Is he for hire? LOL! Guess he used a keyhole saw. Did he use some type of molding to lay the spice board on that would hold it stable? Love those spice jar top labels. Do you make them up and sell them through your blogspot? We have our spices in one of those spice drawer and you have to pull out each drawer to find what you want. Hate it!Corner cabinets to me are useless. Wished I could afford to removel my entire kitchen but the previous owner told us it was remodeled 10 years before we moved here in 2005. We did replace the pink laminate countertop and tiles with rose in them.

18. Audrey says:

Hi there, I really love this post about organization your spice jars. I love the labels especially! I like the cute design that you did and the color chosen. Can you advise me on how you made the label design on your illustrator?