Closet Clean Up

January 6th, 2012

With the New Year here, I am sure many of you have goals/resolutions/tasks/jobs set for yourself to complete.

One job I started working on is cleaning out my closet.

This entails pulling anything out of my closet that is on the floor and sorting through the pile, as well as looking throughand sorting each clothing item that is hanging up.

What made this task a little bit better….having a friend there to help sort and share her opinion on clothing!

I tried many things on.
If I wasn’t sure about it, I tried it on.
If I liked it but my friend wasn’t sure, I tried it on.
If I haven’t worn it in a long time, I tried it on.
There were a few items where my friend didn’t even  say a word, I could just tell by the look on her face that she didn’t like something.
So to the consign/Goodwill pile it went.

Honestly, I still have a mess.  The final product has yet to be seen.   :)

Some tips I have picked up along the way or things that I just do….

1.  Use hangers that are all the same color/style.
For some reason, I feel that having white hangers helps make things more organized.

2.  Look at each piece of clothing.
Make sure there aren’t any missing buttons or something else wrong with the item.
Also, if your pants or shirt could use a quick press, pull out your iron and ironing board.

3.  Group clothing by type, then by color.
Some people organize their clothes by color only, I like to group mine by type as well.
Camis, tank tops, dress shirts, plain tshirts, long-sleeved shirts, Iowa State clothing, pants/jeans, dresses, casual tshirts.

4.  Every few months, I hang my clothes with the hanger going the wrong way.
This way, after another few months, if the hanger is still the wrong way, that means I haven’t worn it…..so I should get rid of it.
I will admit, I use to have a hard time with that.  But now, I’m ready to clean stuff out!

5.  Put dryer sheets on my shelves, to keep my closet smelling nice.
Who doesn’t want a closet that smells good?

What tips/suggestions do you have for cleaning out and organizing your closet?

I’ll share my completed closet next month, as well as any tips you have to share.

So until then, grab a friend, and help each other clean out and organize your closets!

11 Responses to “Closet Clean Up”

1. Mary says:

I should be cleaning out my closet right now, but your I’m having too much fun reading your blog!
    Thanks for all the goodies you share.
    Love your work & designs.

2. Donna says:

I’m curious to see what the finished product looks like!! :)

Good tip about hanging items the “wrong way”…I like to have hangers all going the same way if I can help it, so that would be something that would stick out to me.

I so need to do this!! Unfortunately, we don’t have closet organizers yet, so right now we’re in the process of pulling out EVERYTHING in the whole closet so we can build the organizers and then organize the clothes! now that is chaos!

4. Jodee says:

I didn’t even know that you had this blog! Where have I been?!

Love your tips! I organize/group by color too!

5. Mindy W says:

Good girl! Now, those awesome clothes will be great donations for the Ballard Clothes Pantry or I’ll take them for you down to the Refugee Center in Des Moines. Last little thing- I’ve noticed a lot of great re-purposed t-shirt projects and you could save the non-donatable items for that. Though that means potential for cluttering up your craft space. :)

6. Great tips! No help from me as I am a hopeless organizing case. I love your idea about turning the hangars the wrong way. Then I just need to will myself to get rid of those old clothes. For some reason the hoarder in me doesn’t like to let go!

7. Anna says:

I’m starting to FIFO my clothes…when I was them they go to the front of the closet and then I try to pick from the backside of the closet that way I’m not wearing the same things over and over; if they end up in the very back then I can throw them away. I’m doing it with the kids clothes too – but more so they all get even wear.

And in college your closets were always clean….no wonder you have great tips!

8. Gayle says:

I cannot over recommend Huggable Hangers. They will CHANGE YOUR LIFE. I swear. You do not know how much your closet can hold and how nicely it will hang until you have these miracles of organization!!

9. Virginia of Vancouver says:

Put up a closet type or shower type pole up in the
    laundry room (mine is over the washer/dryer and under
    a supply cabinet). Keep less than a dozen empty
    hangers in your closet(s) and keep the excess empty
    hangers in the laundry room. Frees up a foot or more
    space in your closets and keeps those hangers handy
    to use as you pull out each item from the dryer.

10. Virginia of Vancouver says:

I bought pants hangers with about 6 bars that swing out
    so you can easily put the pants over them and also easy
    to remove them. This would get rid of the pants folded
    and tossed on the closet shelf.

Also, I have read you should not put knit clothes items
    on hangers, but I have always done this and have not
    ever had a problem, so hanging up T-shirts is a good
    thing. Knit skirts and dresses I have had a problem
    with, so those should be folded and put into a drawer.

You can also hang up pajamas and nightgowns.

Stained T-shirts in good condition can be used as
    sleep tops if you like too.

11. segolene says:

The febuary edition of O is filled with tips to better organize your closet, I already have plans to follow them!
    But what I always noticed is: if you don’t see your clothes/jewelry/accessories, you’ll never wear them!
    So I do my best to display them in my closet.
    For my earrings; I bought some metal earring hangers that you have in jewelry shops; i sort them by color, and can quickly pick the ones I want.
    Thanks for all your hints and goodies, they really help me, especially the 2012 planner!
    continue your good work!