Hooked

August 30th, 2011

Before we moved into the house, I spotted these lovelies in the Pottery Barn catalog. I thought they would look so cute in the laundry room, but they were only available in 1-4, and I want like 10+ hooks in the laundry room. Aren’t they so cute!

So during the renovation, Mr. Project had installed the board & batten wainscoting in the guest bathroom, and I was going to purchase the hardware for this bathroom and went to assess the situation and was thinking that I didn’t want some bulky expected towel bar covering the pretty wall and though that hooks would be a much better choice (and way more practical for kids and guests). So I was looking again at all their hooks and came across the numbered hooks again. This time I knew it was meant to be because I had exactly FOUR batten strips, perfect for FOUR hooks! Love it!

Here are my happy hooks hanging in the bathroom, and I love them, but I need to figure out the towel situation (oh and my existing blue towels actually match the wall color much better IRL than in photos).

So lovely blog readers, what do you think, should I get 4 towels that match the wall (aqua) or white towels that match the board & batten, or copper towels that match the flowers on the shower curtain? I NEED your feedback so PLEASE leave a comment!

Here is a photo of the shower curtain & other side of the bathroom so that you can make the best decision.

15 Responses to “Hooked”

1. Erin says:

I say to go with either blue to match the walls and birds on the curtain, or a gold/red to match the flowers on the curtain. I love the board and batten by the way, great job!

2. Nancy says:

I love your new home and the projects. I have hooks in my bathroom, too. I have a DD who does much better “hooking” her towel than “hanging” it. I also don’t like the look of a long towel rack. I have 5 hooks which I hung 2 different colors of towels on. On another hook, I hung rope which I tied starfish and seashells on. The other hooks are just empty for now. I would do whatever you can realistic do. If you have existing towels that match your wall color, use those. If you can afford some other towels, try mixing colors. How is that for a decisive answer?

Nancy! You’re no help at all! I need to get more towels for the bathroom, so I can get whatever color, just not sure what color! My friend told me to get 4 of each color :P She’s no help either!

4. Becky says:

I’d likely do blue AND copper but I’m no decorator. If you want to stick with one color, I’d do blue.

5. Alys says:

Maybe the color in the curtains. BUT, I would use what I had if it worked. I’m too frugal.

I am using my existing blue ones in the basket, but I want 4 more towels to hang on the hooks, and then possibly a back-up 4 to put in the vanity. I like having lots of towels when we have guests and we’re getting ready for my folks to come and then my brother in December. Up until about a year ago we only had like 2 towels since we’ve been in apartments and never had guests, but with a house comes great towel responsibility! So I’m stocking up!

7. I think white towels would be nice if you want a streamlined look with the board & batten. I think it depends on if you want the towels to blend in or if you want to draw attention to them. I’d go white.

8. Amber says:

That’s tough, because the aqua is so gorgeous and calming and looks great against the white. From a design standpoint though, you’re already picking up the bird blue in the walls, floor and bathmat, so I think I would go copper on the towels and strike more of a balance in the color scheme. :) I wouldn’t pick white, because even with typical washings they will quickly look dingy in comparison to the pretty white board and batten.

Good point Amber! once it becomes a kids bathroom those white towels will go from gleaming to dingy pretty quickly! I am definitely leaning towards the copper since I already have some blue towels. Thanks everyone for the feedback!

10. Sofia says:

I adore the aqua and they would stand out fabulously against the white. I think that the copper would work too to bring out those curtains and basket elements you have though. Do you want a calming breezy effect or earthy more country feel?

11. Bekka says:

I am a fan of white, white, and more white, but given your penchant for color, I’m leaning towards the copper as well. I think it would help break up things and add a new accent.

12. Desiree says:

I’m all about white fluffy bath towels. They never get old looking and you can bleach them to keep them nice and clean.

13. Misty says:

I love the blue towels, but would probably purchase the copper (as you already have the blue). This way you could swap them out when the mood strikes…kwim? Hope that helps you!!!

BTW, I love the hooks!!!

Thanks for sharing your home with us!!!

14. Nancy says:

My mother always wanted a closet filled with white linens. With 8 children it never happened. I would do a combination of aqua and the copper color. There, I helped ;)

With guest coming and going, I need to share an idea that my mother used. She decorated her bathrooms the way she wanted to for every day use. She then had several of those clear zip bags for blankets. She had bed linens and towel sets in them. When she had guests, she would put out a bag, make the bed with the fresh linens and would tye a fun ribbon around the towel set for each guest.

This idea worked great when she became ill and one of us stayed with her every night. We all just had our own bag with bed linens, towel sets, toothbrush, etc. We would just grab it and use it. The person coming the next night was responsible for the laundry and putting it back in the bag.

Nancy