Cookie box – neighbor gift with Freebie

December 12th, 2009

_DSC0107

I’m not sure if everyone knows about neighbor gifts, but if you haven’t been raised with this tradition, the name describes it all… small, usually hand-crafted gifts, for all your neighbors and friends. This year for some of my neighbors, I made some super yummy thumbprint shortbread cookies with jam centers (raspberry makes it extra festive) and decided to make some adorable boxes with some of my paper stash (and yes, it’s a giant stash).

_DSC0090

Ever since I saw this adorable Christmas paper from My Mind’s Eye, I’ve been wanting to do something cute with it. I love the bright colors, especially the pink! So I grabbed 2 sheets and the matching accessory sheet. To make the box I decided to go the easy route and cut it on my shiny new Cricut.

_DSC0092

I created a simple box form for the Cricut to cut. I use SCAL with my cricut so I can have it cut anything I want. If you’re a SCAL user I have a free download of this simple SVG file. Also I made a DXF file which should work with Craftrobo (Silhouette, wishblade, etc). If you don’t have a cutter, there is a PDF that you can print and use as a template.

Picture 185

I cut one at about 11″ tall for the bottom boxand then I enlarged the file slightly to make it about 11.25″ to make the top of the box. My box came out quite large, I think It would be better even smaller, so if you can only cut 8-9″ wide, this is still a great project.

_DSC0093

After cutting the papers I just folded the edges and glued the tabs on the outside of the box.

_DSC0095

After folding and gluing, I found some white parchment paper and lined the box and then placed in the cookies that I had made (make sure they are cool!)

_DSC0107

Then I placed the lid on top, tied it with some ribbon, a tag from the accessory sheet and a chipboard christmas tree, and it was ready to deliver!

_DSC0109

Super cute, super easy, affordable,  and quick enough to mass reproduce! Have a merry Christmas & happy holiday season!

click on the download button to download the cutting file/template for this box. The zip you download will have a PDF, SVG, & DXF file. Happy Crafting!

22 Responses to “Cookie box – neighbor gift with Freebie”

1. Malu G says:

GreatThanks!!! How did you get a black cricut???

2. Jami says:

Great gift idea!! Thanks for the fantastic cutting file!! I got one of those shiny new cricuts too….so much fun!!

3. admin says:

Black Friday $188! Killer deal and all shiny and black!

4. Thanks Jen! Gonna be scissors for me but I can do that especially now that I have learned to print out my digi paper stash :)

5. Lynne Allred says:

You are SO creative. That turned out adorable! Now if only I had a cricut. I never thought I wanted one, but this might have changed my mind.

6. April says:

I agree…the black is soooo chic and cool!! Me want! But I have a brand new one in the normal color so I guess I can live with it. ;) Thanks for introducing SCAL to me, had never heard of it, still being new to the cricut and all, and this was just what I was looking for!! :) And the box template…that’s EXACTLY what I’ve been looking for!!! THANK YOU!

7. LisaE says:

How wonderful. Thank you for the template. And your photography is awesome!

8. Nicole K says:

I have a 2Peas order in transit with that very paper! I saw it on the computer and it looked great. Seeing these photos makes me excited to get it! Thanks for the freebie!

9. Mary H. says:

Thank you so much for this wonderful cookie box design – I will definitely use it throughout the year for hostess and other gifts! Congratulations on your new venture!! Mary

10. Karen says:

The box looks super cute. LOVE the papers you used. Thanks so much for sharing the template and good luck with your new venture.

11. Leigh says:

I made these boxes with the PDF file and they turned out so cute! I actually used cover stock that I glued on some scrapbooking paper with spray adhesive.

Can you tell me more about the cricut model that you have and what SCAL is?

12. jen says:

looking through the rest of your site, love everything so far! will be coming back for more.

13. Lisa says:

Thank you for this. I am putting them together now to put cookies in for teacher goodies. I scaled it down just lightly to accommodate 3 peanut butter blossom cookies.

14. Cati says:

Ok, I’m sure this is basic for everyone but me, but how can I download SVG files? I try, but my computer won’t open them. I’d love to get in on this!
    ADORABLE box, by the way! I can’t wait to make one!

15. marguerite says:

How do II get a wonderful pattern

16. Vicki says:

just wonderful, i love it. ♥

17. Awesome! Can’t wait to use this for cookie distribution this year. Thanks much!

18. Marie Collins says:

I have several box svg, but I think the size of this is OURTSTANDINg! It cut so quickly too. Thank you!

19. chef becky says:

thanks, will come in great for my holiday treats. ( family refuses bought presents they ALL prefer cookies)

20. sue says:

wow beautiful wish i found these before christmas but will be used throughout the year thank you so much

21. Linda says:

Where we can buy that machine and how the price?

22. Eli says: